Charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs with income under £300k can save on water costs through Charities Exemption Scheme

From Scottish Government:-

The Scottish Government has a scheme which helps charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs (CASCs) with the cost of their water and waste water bills.  The scheme is administered by the water industry on behalf of the Scottish Government.

From April 2015, support will be available to charities registered with the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) and CASCs with an income below £300,000.  There are a few exceptions.  Charities and CASCs will not be eligible for support where one or more of the following conditions are met;

  • the charity holds a permanent alcohol licence to sell alcohol at the premises.
  • the premises is a charity shop or other premises used for the purposes of retailing new or second hand merchandise.
  • the premises operates as a café which is open to the public and operated on a regular basis to generate income.  This excludes canteens that have been provided by the charity to support its own volunteers.
  • The organisation is a Local Authority or an Arms-Length External Organisation (ALEO) which organisations that can be used by councils to deliver services.

The old scheme ceases on 31 March 2015 and this scheme replaces it.  Those organisations that are already eligible under the current arrangements will be exempt from charges in 2015-16 and do not need to apply to receive support during 2015-16.   In the coming months Licensed providers will contact their customers that are eligible for the existing scheme to advise them what they need to do for 2016-17.

The application process for the new scheme is now open to new entrants.  Potentially eligible charities and CASCs may want to ensure relevant accounts have been prepared and, in the case of charities, submitted to OSCR to ensure they can receive support from April 2015.

Successful organisations will receive support from 1 April 2015, as long as the application is received by Scottish Water by 31 March 2016 and it meets the scheme requirements.

Application forms should be sought from your Licensed Provider.  If you do not have a licensed provider, you will need to select one.  Further information can be found on

Ministerial policy is set out in letters to the Infrastructure and Capital Investment Committee.

For Frequently Asked Questions, click here.

Back to News
Website by AgencyForGood

Copyright 2024. All Rights Reserved

    Your Basket
    Your basket is emptyBack to Home Page
    Skip to content